Thursday, March 01, 2007

March 1 Devotion

The following day, John (The Baptist) was again standing with two of his disciples.
and he looked at Jesus as He walked, and said, "Behold, the Lamb of God."
John 1:35-36

In a loud voice they sang:“Worthy is the Lamb, who was slain,
to receive power and wealth and wisdom and strength and honor and glory and praise!”
Revelation 5:12

Lions and Lambs

Today is the first day of March. You know what they say about March--in like a lamb, out like a lion, or in like a lion, out like a lamb. In February we have the groundhog to predict our weather, in March we have lions and lambs.

Jesus came in like a lamb (think about the nativity), and went out like a lamb (the crucifixion), and even came back like a lamb, not making a show of himself after the resurrection, but appearing quietly only to his followers. The Hebrews were looking for a lion, so overlooked the lamb that was in their midst.

I think most people are fascinated by weather. We refer to our local TV weather men by their first names, as if they are our personal friends. We hang on their every word. How often have you looked out the window to see that it's raining, but you still turn on the TV to have Tony or Spencer affirm that it is indeed raining?

In mid-March, 1993, we were told that a big snow storm was on the way. That winter most every storm that came our way seemed to go around Huntington, so I assumed this one would miss us as well. Wrong! It started snowing Friday night and by Saturday morning we had about 18 inches on the ground. Surprise!

Jesus told his disciples that he would be killed but would return, yet they were unprepared for his death and astounded when he was resurrected, joyful but astounded. I can understand their response. They heard his predictions, but the words did not make sense to them. Return from the dead? Wrong! People just didn't return from the dead. Yet, surprise, there he was. Can you imagine the flood of emotions they must have felt when they saw him? The sacrificial lamb had returned, but not as a lion, still a lamb.

Have you ever thought of yourself as a lamb? Jesus said, "I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep....I am the good shepherd. I know my sheep and they know me..... My sheep recognize my voice; I know them, and they follow me. And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand." (John 10: 11,14, 27-28).

Anita Gardner Farrell

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home