Thursday, April 05, 2007

April 5 Devotion

Lectionary Readings: Psalms 102, 142, 143; Jeremiah 20:7-11; 1 Corinthians 10:14-17, 11:27-32; and John 17: 1-11 (12-26)

Then He poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples’ feet and to wipe them with the towel that was tied around Him. John 13:5

“Then He took a loaf of bread, and when He had given thanks, He broke it and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body, which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me.” And He did the same with the cup after supper, saying, “This cup that is poured out for you is the new covenant in my blood.” Luke 22:19-20.

Today is Holy Thursday. It is also known as Maundy Thursday and is traditionally commemorated by the sharing of the bread and the cup to remember the events of the Last Supper shared by Jesus with the disciples. In preparation for this meal, arrangements for a room and the food were made, which was probably a Passover meal. As guests arrived at their destination, a servant would wash their feet to provide comfort—another customary activity. According to the Gospel of John, Jesus took on the servant’s role by washing the disciple’s feet as they gathered for this meal.

In researching this event a little further I found that the word Maundy comes from the Latin “mandatum” which is translated to the English word “commandment”. Jesus also gave the commandment at the Last Supper that the disciples should “love one another”. Jesus demonstrated a model for the expression of that love by washing the feet of His disciples as a servant would. It is one more example of Jesus’ use of the “everyday” or “common” experiences of His followers to show them a new way to act or think about something.

Many times we take worship experiences for granted. We go through the motions because the words or the sequence is familiar. Or we just say the words without pondering their meaning. Jesus asks the disciples to consider a radical behavior change: to love one another. The words are deceptively simple, but the actions required are definitely radical and life changing.

One of the anthem’s we have used in connection with communion has been In Remembrance. This beautiful musical setting helps me remember even more forcefully, the commandment to love one another. The words seem simple, but the actions suggested are also radical.

In Remembrance Words by Ragan Courtney and Music by Buryl
( Also in Faith We Sing-- # 2254)

In remembrance of me, eat this bread,
In remembrance of me, drink this wine.
In remembrance of me, pray for the time when God’s own will is done.
In remembrance of me, heal the sick.
In remembrance of me, feed the poor.
In remembrance of me, open the door and let your brother in, let him in.
Take, eat, and be comforted,
Drink and remember, too,
That this is my body and precious blood, shed for you, shed for you.
In remembrance of me, search for truth.
In remembrance of me, always love.
In remembrance of me, don’t look above, but in your heart, in your heart
Look in your heart for God.
Do this in remembrance of me.
Do this in remembrance of me.
In remembrance of me.


The line: “In remembrance of me, don’t look above, but in your heart for God” reminds me that the requirement of the commandment to love one another begins with me. I have to be willing to take responsibility for the task to love one another as an outgrowth of the sacrifice Jesus made for me. God is not sitting on a soft cloud somewhere vaguely heavenward, but is active in the world through the words and actions of his servants on earth. He has no hands, but our hands. In remembrance, let us love one another.

Dear God, guide us as we join together this day to remember you through the sharing of bread and “wine”. Quiet our minds and busyness so that we may accept the love that the elements signify. Call to us again through the familiar words. Help us to listen this time to their
true meaning. Help us to accept the challenge to love one another—to take on the mantle of servanthood. In Remembrance, Amen.

Chyrl Budd

1 Comments:

At 3:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very special! There is another song that is also very nice, "As We Remember" by Rory Cooney. My copy is from 'Gather Comprehensive' but I am sure you can find it in several other publications.

This was very well done.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home