Thursday, March 01, 2012

Devotional 3-1-12


As Lent is obviously connected to the idea of sacrifice, many of us forego sweets or other nonessential items through the season.  Some give up cursing or another behavior we shouldn’t be doing in the first place.  Some of us immerse ourselves in scripture and try to approach the forty days with reverence.  In a recent worship service, I heard the phrase “God’s glory is for giving”, and I thought I heard “God’s glory is forgiving”.  I have been ruminating about this in terms of how it might relate to Lent.  

Lent is for giving

First, rather than giving up something, we might feel more spiritual development through giving something.  I try to grow closer to God through some truly trivial ‘sacrifice’ (what a strong word for going without chocolate), but I simply replace what I’ve curbed with something else.  We could give to others instead of saving or doing for ourselves.  “I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.” Matthew 25:36

Lent is (about) forgiving
A second focus during this introspective season might be forgiveness.  I try to tell myself I’m being a good Christian while I hold years-old grudges against friends or family.  Why not use this time to create a clean slate for others while scrubbing at the stains of my own wrongdoing?  Thankfully, God’s glory is not only for the saints; it is a gift for sinners.  “If you forgive others the wrongs they have done to you, your Father in heaven will also forgive you.” (Matthew 6:14)

Lent can be a time to reflect upon our Christian journey through giving and forgiving.  In the beginning, we may feel we are giving more than we can afford or forgiving those who we think instead “need justice!”  As we do what we can to honor Christ’s gift of salvation, the result is a certain reward.  We relinquish vanity and pride, and we replace them with peace and fulfillment.  In whatever fashion, I pray you use this time in Lent to take a step toward God’s glory.   

Natalie Wray

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 6:01 AM, Anonymous Becky Warren said...

Natalie, a few years ago I had a colleague who infuriated me because she didn't do her job the way I thought she should. We had gotten to the place where we didn't even speak. I gave up disliking her for Lent. When I first started talking to her, she was suspicious, but she went along with it. The more we talked, the more I realized she had some major problems, so teaching wasn't high on her priority list. When I left that school, we were friends. She died a few years later. I was always glad that God had led us to forgive each other for Lent. Thanks for the reminder.

 
At 7:40 AM, Anonymous Anita said...

How appropriate that this devotion comes on the day of LeAnn Litton's memorial service. LeAnn gave selflessly of herself to the Common Grounds ministry. She didn't just show up to help out, she truly served the Common Grounds congregation.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home