Monday, April 14, 2014

Devotional 4-15-14

FACING DEATH
 
All of us have one thing in common---we all will die.  Some will die young but most of us will live a long life. There comes a time in one's late middle age when we probably think about it more often.  I remember I said, "when I leave this world.." and my older grandson said, "Where are you going?"  I had to backtrack and promise that I would never die. He is older now and I am sure he knows that I cannot keep that promise. Will it be peaceful or will it be painful? Will I know it is happening? or will I be asleep? Will I  be remembered?  Will I be missed?  All of us probably think about these questions.  But none of us really know how the end will be.  Jesus did.

Jesus was a young man when he arrived in Bethany six days before Passover. A banquet was prepared in his honor.  Martha served and Lazarus sat at the table with him.  Mary took a costly perfume to wash Jesus' feet and dried his feet with her hair. But Judas (the one who would betray Jesus) said that the perfume was worth a fortune. It should be sold and the money given to the poor.  He really did for care for the poor that much and was known to help himself to the disciples' funds. But Jesus said for Judas to leave her alone.  She did it in preparation of his burial. He then said that he would not be with them very long.

Jesus rode along on the back of a young donkey, fulfilling the prophesy.  He spoke of his death as a kernel of wheat falling in the furrows of the earth but his death would produce many wheat kernels--a plentiful  harvest of new lives. He could not ask God to save him from what was ahead when it is the very reason why he came. He even spoke of how he would be lifted up on the cross.  He even knew how he would die. He knew on the night before the Passover Day would be his last. Jesus even told Judas to hurry, "Do it now."

Could we face what Jesus knew about his death?  I think not. He was human, he probably was very frightened but he still followed what he was meant to do.  I am sure he hurt to see his mother's face as she watched.  But he fulfilled the prophesy.  Our deaths seem minor compared to the pain and suffering he did for us. He died so that we might live again.

Let us pray:
            Heavenly Father,
            Please help us to remember the gift of your son for all of us.
            Let us never take it for granted.
            Amen
Carol Brown

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home