Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Devotional 2-24-10

Keeping up with the Dittenhafers

My grandmother, whose maiden name was Dittenhafer, is always frugal and practical. I know that she has used her reel (motor-less) lawn mower in the last decade, which is proof that she still tries to save money. If you ask her about her childhood, I doubt there would ever be a tale of splurging on a pair of unneccessary shoes or gourmet coffee. Though I don’t think any of the Dittenhafers ever really spent much on anything frivolous, my grandmother is happy with what she has. Grandma worked hard to take care of her family, and she has wisely managed her finances. I imagine you’ve heard that “Happiness isn’t having what you want; it’s wanting what you have.” How true it is!

During my childhood, possibly like yours, I heard plenty of tales echoing the old “walking seven miles up the hill through snow to get to school” tune. Though my brother and I were quick to roll our eyes at the time, something that really can’t be pushed aside is that our parents and grandparents worked and sacrificed to give us a good life… and we do have more than we really need. Still, I often think, “We could really use the money for” this or that. Why have we as a society developed a constant feeling of want? In this day of instant gratification, we are reluctant to engage in anything that requires diligence or the ‘s’-word: sacrifice. Maybe that is why we are ungrateful for the things we already have.

We all know that true wealth lies in love and not in possessions, but it is a concept difficult to realize. During Lent, the season of sacrifice, I pray that we all gain that sense of happiness without material things. Rather than keeping up with the Joneses (or the cable-famed Kardashians), shouldn’t we all try to “keep up” with people like the Dittenhafers? We should be mindful of those who choose to live with simplicity and are often more fulfilled for it. What more perfect time of year is there for us to grow closer to God through simple living? I think that, instead of the first day of January, Ash Wednesday should be the day on which we make resolutions. Yes, we could simply give up candy or something we’ll just allow ourselves to have again on Easter. However, maybe it would be more meaningful to do something that would truly better oneself for the long term. To really be ‘resolute’ (thus the word ‘resolution’) in that sacrifice could create in us a better appreciation for the greatest sacrifice of all.

Natalie Wray

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home