Thursday, April 17, 2014

Devotional 4-17-14

April 17, 2014


 “. . .let us also lay aside every weight and the sin that clings so closely. . .looking to Jesus the pioneer and perfecter of our faith, who . . .endured the cross, disregarding its shame. . .Consider him who endured such hostility against himself from sinners, so that you may not grow weary or lose heart.”    (Hebrews 12:1-3)

A long hard winter!  A season of discipline we call Lent!  World events, city and state issues, lives impacted by suffering and death all around us!    And now in the middle of Holy Week – we remember that God through Jesus Christ gives purpose and meaning toAnchor all of this we call life.

One of my favorite writers, Sr. Joan Chittister OSB, giving commentary to the Rule of Benedict says, “Holiness is not an excuse to avoid responsibility.  Spirituality is not an escape from life.  Spirituality leavens life.  Spirituality is what stabilizes us in the middle of confusion and gives us energy to go on doing what must be done even when the rest of life taxes and fatigues and separates us from our own resources.”  (Insight for the Ages)

As we observe again the story of Jesus’ last earthly week – the gathering with his disciples in the Upper Room, his arrest, suffering, death, and his resurrection – we are reminded that we experience life and knowing his presence do not grow weary or lose heart.

A friend and colleague of mine reminded me earlier in Lent of a prayer by Thomas Merton, the 20th century Trappist monk and writer:

 “My Lord God, I have no idea where I am going.
 I do not see the road ahead of me.  I cannot know for certain
 where it will end.  Nor do I really know myself, and the fact
 that I think that I am following your will does not mean that I
 am actually doing so.
 But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you.
 And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing.
 I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire.
 And I know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road though
 I may know nothing about it.  Therefore I will trust you always though
 I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death.  I will not fear,
 for you are ever with me, and you will never leave me to face my
 perils alone.”   (Thoughts in Solitude)

In the middle of this Holy Week, may the writer of Hebrews speak to our souls –
“Consider him who endured such hostility against himself from sinners, so that you may not grow weary or lose heart.”  (12:3)

Dr. William H. Wilson (Bill)

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 9:03 AM, Anonymous Amy Inghram said...

Thank you, Bill, for sharing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home