Monday, March 12, 2007

March 12 Devotion

Read Jeremiah 7: 1- 15

God sent Jeremiah to the temple gates to warn the people of Jerusalem to change their lives or they would be exiled and the temple destroyed. The people were leading sinful lives – stealing, murdering, following other gods – and then coming to the temple to worship. The footnotes in my NIV Life Application Bible describe this ritual worship while leading a sinful lifestyle as “religion without a personal commitment to God.” Are we sometimes guilty of this today? Do we sing, teach Sunday school and attend church for “the ritual” or for God? While all of these activities are good, if they are not done for God, they are empty.

Part of our self-examination during the Lenten season may include reflecting on these questions:

  • Do I attend church to truly worship God? Or, is it out of habit or to see my friends?
  • Do I sing the hymns to praise God? Or, am I afraid my neighbor will hear me singing off key?
  • Am I working for God or the church with my committee service?
  • What do I need to do to renew my personal commitment to God?
Prayer –

O gracious Lord, thank you for the opportunity to have a personal relationship with you. Help me see how I can renew and revive my personal commitment to you. I pray that this new commitment will be evident in my service to you. Amen

Shelly Shideler

    1 Comments:

    At 11:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Right on! Sometimes it is hard to understand ourselves but these are questions we ned to ask and answer from time to time. Thanks for the sharing your insight.

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home