Thursday, February 21, 2008

Devotional 2-21-08

Romans 15:13: May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. (NIV)

God gives us peace, only if we ask. Driving home from Cleveland last August, Tom and I traveled through a thunderstorm of huge proportions. It was truly the worst storm we had ever experienced; rains were coming in torrents, lightning and thunder crashed above us, winds were fiercely blowing, our windshield wipers were at full speed, and visibility was impossible. We should have pulled off the highway, but we couldn't get to the outside lane due to tractor-trailers blocking our way. Fear completely consumed us. Lying in the backseat, I began to pray, asking God to make the storm clouds roll away. God did not immediately quiet the storm; however, he did quiet my heart, and I found peace. I knew that God would take care of us and keep us safe, for he is always with us.

Recently diagnosed with an unusual cancer, leiomyosarcoma, I was faced with great anxiety in my life. At the very beginning of my medical journey, I realized the burden of cancer was too heavy of a load for me to carry. I immediately turned my "troubles" over to God, knowing that he would take care of me. Because of God's constant love, I have been at peace. God has blessed my life with a wonderfully supportive family and with an overwhelming amount of love from my church family and many friends.

God created all of us with a reservoir of inner peace; however, it is up to us to release the peace within ourselves. We must allow the peace to flow throughout our bodies, washing away our anxieties and fears. All we need to do is ask God to help us. It doesn't matter how large or how small our request, God hears us. He will always shoulder our problems. Trusting in God provides us constant peace; a simple prayer eases our anguish. As we allow the peace of God to rise within us, we are uplifted in thought, in spirit, and in our expectations for another day.

Theo Tippett

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 9:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How I love the phrase, "a reservoir of inner peace." Thank you so much for your beautiful testimony and hopeful devotion.

 
At 4:04 PM, Blogger Mountaineer said...

Theo,

Wishing you a speedy recovery from your cancer. During my cancer treatments I trusted in my doctors and I also had the strong support of my family.

Thinking of you,
Mike

 

Post a Comment

<< Home