Monday, February 11, 2008

Devotional 2-11-08

Forty Days of Reflection
Read Ephesians, Matthew 4

I have struggled to write this devotional. Some weeks ago I read the lectionary for Feb. 11 and just could not find a direction. (The readings above are not the lectionary) Then the other night I picked up the Message.(which I had not used before) When I first opened it the page I was looking at was Ephesians 1. As I read it I knew that I been lead to this book and chapter.
Paul is writing to the church at Ephesus, to give them encouragement and guidance. As I continued reading, I began to think that this is a guide of how I should live, but also of what our church is embarking on, a vision and mission to guide our church in the years to come.
But how does this thought relate to Lent?

Lent is a time of reflection, a time of learning to listen to God and dealing with our temptations. Just as Jesus spent forty days of fasting in the desert, he had time to reflect and listen to God. Then with God’s help he fought temptation and won.

Let us use these next days to reflect, not only or own lives but the life of our church.
Listen to God and hear how he wants us to live and how our lives can help fulfill the vision and mission of Johnson Memorial or any church. Then we too will win.

Pray with me.
God you are wonderful, you are the great leader. Lead me now through these next days. Help me listen to your word and then help me to share them with the church. Help us become the church of your people. A church that strengthens and nurtures those within its’ walls and reaches to those outside the walls in need.

We pray this through your son Jesus Christ. Amen

Fred Herr

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home