Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Devotional 2-6-08

Please read Matthew 6:1-6, 16-21

Today is Ash Wednesday. Our Lenten journey has begun. Yesterday was Shrove Tuesday. Pancake Day. Mardi Gras. Fat Tuesday.

My first memory of Lent is the annual youth pancake breakfast on Shrove Tuesday. We would meet at the church ridiculously early for a time of devotion and then eat pancakes. I didn’t like having to get up that early. The pancakes weren’t worth the lost sleep, to me. Then, after we ate pancakes, we also would go around the room and talk about what we would “give up” for Lent.

What"s up with these strange rituals, with getting rid of the fat and the cream so we could “fast” for forty days? They told us it was a time of preparation, but I just didn’t get it.

I remember the year I gave up Coke. It wasn’t long before I gave in to drinking a soft drink, but somehow justified it. “Hey, it’s a Pepsi. I only gave up Coke.” I always had an angle.

I think Jesus speaks to this in our Gospel reading. Don’t practice religion just for show. It’s between you and God. Let your Lenten discipline bring you closer to God.

One suggestion; instead of merely giving something up for Lent, take something on as well. Jesus didn’t say to deny yourself—period…he added that we should take up a cross, and follow him. This Lenten season, practice taking up the cross.

Perhaps “your cross” means more intentional time with God in prayer or study; perhaps it is working with the poor or homeless or ill; maybe it is donating your time or money to the youth fundraiser this Sunday…

This Lenten season, try giving something up, but take something on in its place. Perhaps when Easter arrives, you will find that you have experienced a closer walk with God.

Jeff Taylor

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home