Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Devotional 2-24-09

Days of Elijah


These are the days of Elijah,
Declaring the word of the Lord:
And these are the days of Your servant Moses,
Righteousness being restored.
And though these are days of great trial,
Of famine and darkness and sword,
Still, we are the voice in the desert crying
'Prepare ye the way of the Lord!'*


On Ash Wednesday, my twelve-year-old son is fond of asking me, “What are you going to give up?” He likes to be in the know, and I suspect that he is hoping to catch me “cheating,” so that he can point it out. I find it hard to explain to him that I don’t think that is what Lent is all about.

A few years ago, I was struggling through a ministry task that I just didn’t want to do. I was committed to do it, but I was worried about whether it was the right thing to do or not. I think my resistance to the task was based in fear of the unknown, but I had to follow it through because it was my job. A friend said to me, “Perhaps you are here for just such a time as this.”

Do you recognize the line? It’s a paraphrase of a verse from Esther.

Where do you stand today? Have you been placed in that spot “for just such a time as this?” We face fear today – fear of unknown economic conditions, fear of loss and failure, fear of change -- and yet, God does not call us to fear. He calls us to discipleship.

Take a look around. Where is God calling you to action? Where is He calling you to use your gifts? Your talent? Perhaps you already know the answer to that question. Perhaps you, like me, have been objecting to God, sending Him all of the reasons why you believe that He has the “wrong number” when He is calling you.

Take a look around. You have been called to just such a time as this. Now is the time. Now is the time when the need is greatest. Now is the time when we can each make a difference. Now is the time that God is calling you.

There is a song, sung by many, including Twila Paris, called Days of Elijah. “These are the days of great trial, of famine and darkness and sword.” But these are the days to which you are called.
These are the days of Ezekiel,
The dry bones becoming as flesh;
And these are the days of Your servant David,
Rebuilding a temple of praise.
These are the days of the harvest,
The fields are as white in Your world,
And we are the laborers in Your vineyard,
Declaring the word of the Lord!*


Kim Matthews

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home