Friday, March 06, 2009

Devotional 3-7-09

Psalms: 51:10 Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.

The following meditation was sent to me by my sister, and I would like to share it with others:

Ash Wednesday is a reminder that God’s justice is blinded by his mercy. The cross of ashes is God’s annual sign to us, like spring, that death does not have the last word. Under the protection of the cross, we believe that, out of the dead ashes of our past sins, we will come to live again. If we are going to “give up” something for Lent, why not consider fasting from anger, bitterness, despair, pessimism, fear, worry, self concern, negative thoughts and words, and judging others?

Perhaps we could commit to some “Lenten Rules”. Some issues in our lives we want to be intentional about doing something to correct them.

Lenten Rules: I will:

Not shriek at the children more than once a day.
Stop making a pig of myself.
Refrain from critical remarks.
Stop smoking. Stop drinking.
Let that poor driver pull into the line of traffic in front of me.
Be nice to that checker, cashier, clerk, attendant, relative, neighbor, pastor, wife, husband, mother-in-law, (circle one, several, or all).
Cook that dish which my spouse likes and I do not. Eat that dish which my spouse cooks and which I do not like.
Put down that trashy book and read something worthwhile.
Get out of the sack every single Sunday morning and go to church; modify my Saturday night routine so that I can get out of the sack on Sunday morning.
Give our Lord a little credit for the good things happening to me; blame our Lord a little less for the bad things that happen to me.
Blame my husband less. Blame my wife less. Blame everyone less.
Say “thank you” more often. Say “please” more often.
Talk less. Say more. Smile more. Try smiling even when I do not feel like it.
Ask our Lord Jesus Christ to help me to do all these things.
- The Anglican Digest -

Virginia Hensley

Mission Prayer and Response Focus:

March 7: Enjoy a hot shower or bath? Give a dime for every bathroom in your house

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home