Friday, February 26, 2010

Devotional 2-27-10

Matthew 18:21-22

Matthew asks Jesus a very important question and one that comes to mind for most of us from time to time. The question of course is how many times do we need to forgive? I recall some years ago being asked by a member of the church I was serving: Pastor, what is the unpardonable sin? I replied to her. You are probably seeing suicide and/or blasphemy against the Holy Spirit as the unpardonable sins for that seems to be spelled out in the Bible but my response to you is this. I believe the unpardonable sin is the one for which we will not ask forgiveness. The lady went on into the sanctuary to sit down and never mentioned the subject with me again.

I also recall a wonderful book I read some time ago titled: "The Gospel According to Judas." I don't recall who wrote the book at the moment. I do recall though alot of what the author talked about in the book. He reminded us that all of the disciples betrayed Jesus. Not one of them could claim their innocence anymore than we can. The difference the author says is that the others asked for forgiveness and received it. The book also points out the human tendency we all have to paint ourselves in a better picture than we picture others.

Consider how many times as the disciples are named in the Gospels that when it comes to naming Judas Iscariot it states after his name "the one who would betray him." That one phrase leads to the subtitle of this book: "Come home, all is forgiven."

Prayer: Thank you God for your abounding love and forgiveness revealed and made whole in Christ Jesus our Lord and Savior. Amen.

Rev. Thomas Malcolm

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home