Thursday, April 01, 2010

Devotional 4-2-10

Please Read John 18:1-27

I’ve never been too critical of Peter for denying Christ. It’s easy to point an accusatory finger at him for denying any knowledge of Christ not once, not twice, but three times. But he had several excellent excuses. He was needed to be a leader of the Christian movement after Jesus’ crucifixion, resurrection, and ascension. Had he confessed to knowing Jesus, it is likely he might have been crucified alongside him.

When, during the Last Supper, Jesus foretold of Peter’s denial, Peter was understandably horrified. None of us wants to admit that in a moment of weakness, we will let our friends down. Peter, ever bold, exclaimed, “Not me! I’ll be with you until death!”

Perhaps the lesson for Peter and us is to not make promises we cannot keep. I know, like Peter, in moments of spiritual joy, I have promised God that I will never abandon my new ways. Then, like Peter, in moments of weakness, I too deny Christ.

If I really think about it, and if I’m really honest, I find there are many ways I deny Christ daily—not in so many words, but by my actions.

When I react out of anger instead of responding out of love…am I denying my relationship with Christ? When I walk past the beggar, averting my gaze…what am I saying about my life of grace? When I read an article about a CEO going down, and I think, with glee, that “he got his” instead of feeling compassion, am I responding as Christ would have me respond? When I speed through the store to get ahead of a mother with a load of groceries and children, what does that say about my Christian walk? The hymnist Johann Heermann captured that feeling in Ah, Holy Jesus. (UMH # 289).

Who was the guilty?
Who brought this upon thee?
Alas, my treason, Jesus, hath undone thee!
‘Twas I, Lord Jesus, I it was denied thee;
I crucified thee.


Peter meant well, but words are easy. Living up to them is the hard part. Fortunately, there is hope for Peter, and there is even hope for the likes of me. Thankfully, God is gracious and merciful; slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love.

Dear God, this Good Friday, we pray for grace to love you more, and to love others more. Amen.

Jeff Taylor

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home