Monday, March 29, 2010

Devotional 3-29-10

Please read Matthew 25:14-30

I grew up in a family that was critical. My parents saw criticism as a way to make sure their children did not become braggarts. While not truly cruel or unkind, I felt that no matter want I did or did not do, there was always room for improvement. What I did just wasn’t quite right. I was afraid to try new things. I was certain I would make a mistake. The parable of the ungrateful steward suited me to a tee. People told me I was intelligent, and creative, but I was still afraid to use my gifts.

One summer, my husband Tim and I had a bumper crop of tomatoes. They were beautiful, round and red. I prepared them in every way I knew how. I didn’t want to waste any. I got out a cookbook and found a recipe for tomato casserole. It looked complicated but sounded good. Tim is the gardener in the family, but he was gone. I was afraid. I love to cook, but I had never prepared fresh tomatoes before because I knew that cooking them was a lengthy process. What if I made a mistake? What if it didn’t turn out right? Drawing a deep breath and praying a prayer for courage, I picked the tomatoes from the vines and took them into my kitchen. (I much prefer to stay inside my house, so even this was a bit new for me.) Then I boiled water to remove the peels, squeezed out the seeds, cut the tomatoes up and layered them in a casserole dish with cheese, onions and breadcrumbs. It was a messy job and by the time I was through there was tomato juice all over the kitchen!

I thought of the many times I sensed God calling me to do something new, but I was afraid. This small act of getting out of my comfort zone felt freeing. I tried something I had always been afraid to try. The casserole turned out well and tasted so good that my husband told his parishioners about it. He insisted I make it again and take it to church for Wednesday night snack supper. People called me for the recipe.

Now when I am afraid of a new direction that God is calling me in, I remember the day I tried something new, something that I had been afraid to try and how it turned out well. It may seem small, but it wasn't to me. I am learning to trust my gifts and talents, and not hold back in fear. God wants that for each of His children.

Rev. Dorcas Conrad

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home