Thursday, March 10, 2011

Devotional 3-10-11

Flying Backwards


I talk to my dad just about every night. The conversations are not complicated and most often revolve around daily activities. His three “usual” questions are: Where did you go today? Where are you going tomorrow? Did you sell anything? One evening in late 2010 our conversation landed on travel – namely air travel. He asked the question, “Have you ever flown backwards?” I was sure I heard the question correctly, yet could not get it to compute. “Well,” I said, “I have returned by air when I had traveled somewhere by air in the first place.” “No, have you ever FLOWN BACKWARDS?” He began to tell a story that took place when I was elementary school age and he was stationed with the US Army in Korea. He boarded a de Havilland Otter aircraft, and, although not a pilot himself, was slotted into the co-pilot’s seat. The plane taxied, and took off from its runway just south of the DMZ. As they began to climb to a height above the mountains, they encountered strong winds. Winds so strong that even under the trained hand of the pilot urging the throttle ‘full speed ahead,’ the plane was unable to overpower the headwind confronting them. Rather than make a drastic correction, such as pitching forward or rolling the wings one way or the other to get away (both actions could have had terrible results), he simply backed off of the power a little bit, let the strong wind guide them backwards until a lower altitude could be secured and an alternate route chosen.

I wonder if Jesus ever felt like he was flying backwards. His disciples handpicked; his mission clear. They witness healing and miracles. They are closer than any. So strong is their faith. One on them can even walk on water. Walk on water – now that’s something. But doubt creeps in and sinking begins. Understanding seems so deep, and yet it goes from “I’ll never leave you Lord” to “I never heard of the guy.” Against the strong wind He let them fly. He never made a drastic correction, and we know from written account that they, after flying backwards, found their route and went on to proclaim the greatness of God.

I wonder if Jesus feels like he is flying backwards on a 21st century planet earth. In a 21st century Huntington, WV, I know that I fly headlong into forces that I alone cannot control. But I try. My corrections find me tumbled in heap. In today’s technology-filled world where you have to download a 100 page instruction manual in order to make the clock not blink 12:00, could there be any easier instruction; love God, love your neighbor? Well, I love God - from my lips to His ears -- but do I feed, provide drink, invite in, clothe, comfort or visit someone in need? Nah! Not like He is talking about. And that neighbor thing, how many houses away can I count before I reach someone who isn’t actually my neighbor? One comes to mind who has me flying into a gale force wind. Look out Steve, a tip of the wing and you are in for it.

I am grateful everyday that He is slow to anger and quick to forgive. He lets me (us) fly and soar and always offers to be the pilot for the journey. But when we take the controls and encounter an obstacle that we simply can’t get around, over or through, He holds us, lets us move back to where we should be and goes with us along the new path.

Gracious and loving God. Thank you for loving us – no matter what. Thank you for your patience when we think we have control. Grant us wisdom that will allow you to direct our route. Amen

Steve Matthews

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home