Thursday, March 29, 2012

Devotional 3-29-12

Well, here we are almost through the Season of Lent -- and I still don't know what it's all about. I understand that Lent is a time of sacrifice -- that we are supposed to "give up" something. Most people I know haven't given up anything. Oh, well, there is this one guy who said he is giving up watermelon (that's a real sacrifice -- watermelon in March). I did read something about Lent that mentioned that we might give up a bad habit so as to improve our souls. (I think that part was written especially for me). Anyway, I’m tired of not understanding. Apparently, Lent is an important time in the life of the Church, but why? I like to know the origins and history of my faith, so I think I’ll do some research and educate myself.

The first thing that jumps out at me in my research is the definition and description of Lent – things that probably everyone but me already knows. The “40 Days” of Lent is inspired by Jesus’ 40 days in the wilderness after his baptism and before his public ministry. I read about Jesus’ fasting and temptations in Matthew 4:1-11 and Luke 4:1-13.

I also found out that the word “Lent” is derived from Indo-European lenget-tin -- “long day.” Although early Christians observed a period before Easter for prayer and fasting, the 40-day custom was not practiced until sometime in the fourth century and was not made official until the eighth century. Sundays are excluded from the 40 days since Sundays are always a celebration of Christ’s resurrection. But Sundays are still included in the Lenten Season. Worship services are more reserved and somber during this time – no joyful alleluias, etc.

The purpose of Lent is to be a season of fasting, spiritual growth, conversion and simplicity. Lent is about spiritual results, not material ones. All fasting and sacrifices should be done for God’s glory and our spiritual growth.

Not too incidentally, I ran across a couple of historical incidents that might be of interest.

The most recent took place during the second year of the reign of King Edward VI of England. Initially its impetus was more economic that religious.

England had both a meat shortage and a struggling fishing industry. Parliament decreed that people should replace meat meals on Fridays with a fish dish. The Church of England and the Roman Catholics took full advantage of this edict and incorporated the “eat fish on Fridays” into their disciplines.

The earlier incident took place in the year 1340. It shows me that at least some Christians in the past thought that Lent was important – not just “important,” but important enough to face death rather than forsake their beliefs. It seems that a non-Christian ruler by the name of Grand Prince Olgerd of Lithuania executed three Christian men who refused to eat meat during the Season of Lent – a time of fasting and sacrifice. Outraged, the Church fathers made the three men the focus of a cult. They were considered martyrs like martyrs in the early days of the Roman Empire. Their remains were entombed in the Great Church of Hagia Sophia.

Prayer
Oh, Heavenly Father, help us as we seek to emulate your son, Jesus Christ. Please help us every day of our lives to be more like him, but especially during these 40 days before Easter to focus more sharply on our goal to improve spiritually so that in our next life we may dwell with you.

We ask this in the name of your son, our Christ, Jesus. Amen
Charlie Lewis

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home