Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Devotional 4-4-12

Isaiah 50:4-9a
When experiencing a challenge, I might feel almost empowered by scripture such as this from Isaiah. It can serve as a set of reminders as to how I should face my environment in order to find joy. The following is how I read today’s scripture:
 
4 The Lord God has given me the tongue of a teacher, that I may know how to sustain the weary with a word. Morning by morning he wakens—wakens my ear to listen as those who are taught.

To me, this was obvious. We all have many ideas swirling through our heads, and the truth is that we know we shouldn’t say most of it. Even the youngest Christians can give spiritual nourishment to others. It is a responsibility to listen to God in that we should feel driven to do so, and it is also a responsibility in the sense that it is a yoke to carry. Everyone knows the difficulty of “looking the part” of a good Christian.

5 The Lord God has opened my ear, and I was not rebellious, I did not turn backward.

…simply a reminder to press forward in our spiritual walk? There is a Veggietales video in which Minnesota Cuke gets tired of following (mostly God’s) instructions, because others always laugh at him. Of course, following instructions proves rewarding in the end. Following instructions proves rewarding in the end. Reminders—such as this one in verse 5—are everywhere, if we allow our ears to be opened to God’s word.

6 I gave my back to those who struck me, and my cheeks to those who pulled out the beard; I did not hide my face from insult and spitting.

 Especially in a day of instant messages and email, it is so difficult to keep with this one. We see something insulting on Facebook, and we fire off a ‘nastygram’ before we even take the next breath (much less think about the consequences). Our generations feel such entitlement that we cannot stand even the most constructive criticism, but we certainly dish out second and third unwarranted helpings of it to even those we love most. This notion of turning the other cheek is particularly important as we are role models for all the children around us.

7 The Lord God helps me; therefore I have not been disgraced; therefore I have set my face like flint, and I know that I shall not be put to shame; 8 he who vindicates me is near. Who will contend with me? Let us stand up together. Who are my adversaries? Let them confront me.

 These verses, of course, state the result of turning the other cheek. When I have been in a situation like this, I might be just a little proud of my self-restraint, but it’s difficult to feel good about myself after ridicule. Strangely to me, Isaiah almost starts to sound cocky; he is calling out someone else to pick on him. His self-control obviously led him to other fruits of the spirit as well.

I find one phrase to be remarkable; I have set my face like flint. It seems more extreme than to say one is stone-faced. Instead of a river-worn smooth and round stone, flint creates the image of sharpness in addition to solid resolve. Of course, there is also the relation between flint and a spark…
 
9a It is the Lord God who helps me; who will declare me guilty?
Our transgressions are between us and our Lord. As we focus on answering to only Him, the remaining aspects of our lives will be bumped into place. I think many of us are afraid that, given the chance, we wouldn’t have had the strength to stay at Jesus’ side to his end. We still have a very real opportunity to prove our dedication, by creating sparks in the hearts and minds of all those around us, and by doing it in Christian strength. May your Easter be moving and bring joy toyour spiritual life.

Natalie Wray

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home