Friday, February 29, 2008

Devotional 2-29-08

Where Everybody Knows Your Name

We all have a name. Some of us like our names while others wonder what our parents were thinking. Having been born in an Army hospital, my name, my boy name and my girl name, were put on paper – signed, sealed and delivered, before I was born. Our name is our ID and whether we like the name or not, we do like to be called by it. I am around people throughout the day that call me (and everyone else) bubba, pal, buddy, champ, sport, old man, young man, dude and so on and on and on. They call people anything except their name.

When I first came to JM in 1985 Emerson Wood was pastor, and it didn’t take me long to recognize a special gift he possessed. He remembered everyone’s name AND he called them by it. It is fun to watch the look on someone’s face when, unexpectedly, they hear their own name.

Church is a wonderful place to know people and to be known by people. How many people do you think knew Jim Ray by name? Jim Ray, he makes the coffee; Jim Ray, he’s here during Wednesday night book study; Jim Ray, he works during Common Grounds; Jim Ray, he gives the kids gum, he volunteers at the VA – at the food pantry – at the clothing pantry – he takes meals to the bus drivers – he helps others who are sick. That Jim Ray has such a servant’s heart. You know who else knew Jim by name? His heavenly Father. He knew Jim here on earth, and I believe that when Jim stepped through the gates of God’s house it sounded like an episode of Cheers; “Hey Jim,” “Yo Jimmy,” “Jim, how’s it goin’?” I think the residents were waiting on Jim. His servant life on earth was the stuff of legend. I love the words from Mike Bowen’s devotional, the living of his life would have authored an epistle that would have rivaled anything Paul ever put together. They knew Jim’s name and welcomed him with open arms.

Our heavenly father knows our names too. Matthew and Luke tell that … even the hairs on our heads are numbered. Don’t you think a God that knows how many hairs you have would care enough to know your name? Of course he does. Our relationship with God is so very special. We know His name, and He knows ours. Sing it with me – you want to go where everybody knows your name.

Steve Matthews

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 12:24 PM, Blogger Ruth Ellen said...

Wonderful devotion!!!

I used the scripture from Isaiah that says God knows my name when I was on chemo. I thought that if God knew my name He would take care of one of his children. Thank you for the words and the example.

Ruth Ellen Fise, Lay Leader
Northern District

 

Post a Comment

<< Home