Sunday, March 02, 2008

Devotional 3-2-08

Caught in the Middle


Lectionary Reading: Psalm 66, 67; Psalm 19, 46; Genesis 48:8-22; Romans 8:11-25; John 6:27-40

Lent is a season when we reflect on the sinless life of our Savior and the salvation he won for us through his death on the cross. It is also a time of confession, when we turn away from our sins and turn toward the forgiveness and everlasting life our Savior offers through his sacrifice for us. I don’t know about you, but as I spend time taking a closer look at my life, I quickly discover the Christian that I want to be and the Christian that I actually am are two very different things. The Apostle Paul had the same struggle. In Romans 7, verses 14 – 21, he puts into words exactly how I feel:

“We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer myself who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it. So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me.”

Isn’t this the experience of any Christian? Don’t we feel caught in the middle? We want to do good, but no matter how hard we try, we find ourselves doing evil. We all struggle with temptation and sin. We all struggle with wanting to please God --- but sometimes we get so caught up in following the rules and the laws that we forget that we don’t have to overcome evil by our own strength. We are just like my four-year old, always wanting to “do it all by myself.” Instead of trying to overcome sin with our human willpower, we must remember to tap into the tremendous power of Christ that is available to us. He has made the provision for victory over sin --- He sends us the Holy Spirit to live in us and give us power. Thankfully, when we do fall, he lovingly reaches out to help us get back on our feet.

I would like to share the words to a song by Casting Crowns. The title of the song is “Somewhere in the Middle.” When I really listened to the words, I recognized just how often I am caught between wanting to do good, but choosing to do evil instead. And maybe it all really comes down to how much I am willing to surrender …..

SOMEWHERE IN THE MIDDLE by Mark Hall

Somewhere between the hot and the cold
Somewhere between the new and the old
Somewhere between who I am and who I used to be
Somewhere in the middle, you’ll find me
Somewhere between the wrong and the right
Somewhere between the darkness and light
Somewhere between who I was and who You’re making me
Somewhere in the middle you’ll find me

Somewhere between my heart and my hands
Somewhere between my faith and my plans
Somewhere between the safety of the boat and the crashing waves
Somewhere between a whisper and a roar
Somewhere between the altar and the door
Somewhere between contented peace and always wanting more
Somewhere in the middle you’ll find me

Just how close can I get, Lord, to my surrender without losing all control?

With eyes wide open to the difference;
The God we want and the God who is
Will we trade our dreams for His or are we caught in the middle?


Prayer: Lord, we are all caught in the middle of wanting to do right, but falling short. As we confess this to you, please help us to be more willing to trade our dreams for yours – to let go of our own agendas and to follow Your example instead. You know Lord, that sometimes we aren’t able to defend ourselves against sin’s attacks. Help us to look to you in times of struggle because we know that Jesus has conquered sin once and for all. In Jesus name, Amen

May we remember this Lenten season and everyday that God loves, heals, and restores. Praise the Lord, we don’t have to stay caught in the middle!

Elicia Bias

Bethesda United Methodist Church

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home