Friday, March 07, 2008

Devotional 3-7-08

The Summons


1 Corinthians 12:27-3:3:
Now you are the body of Christ and individually members of it. And God has appointed in the church first apostles, second prophets, third teachers; then deeds of power, then gifts of healing, forms of assistance, forms of leadership, various kinds of tongues. Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? Do all possess gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues? Do all interpret? But strive for the greater gifts. And I will show you a still more excellent way.

If I speak in the tongues of mortals and of angels, but do not have love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give away all my possessions, and if I hand over my body so that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.
The verses quoted above are one of the readings for this day during Lent. It is parts of two familiar passages, although perhaps we don’t always see them combined like this.

The idea that we all have different gifts from God is not a new one. We all, I hope, spend time trying to determine what our gifts from God are. What are your gifts? How does God want you to use them to bring about His kingdom on earth?

We all are created differently. Part of God’s creativity in the way we are designed is that we all hear God in different ways, though different means. I often hear God through music. In fact, if someone were to look back at the devotionals that I have written for our JM ministry, it would be hard to miss how this particular means of grace touches me. Almost every devotional I have written has a title which is the name of a song. God reaches me through music.

The sad fact is, however, that I have no musical talent or gifts at all. In order for God to reach me through music, someone else has to sing it. Someone else has to use his or her talents and gifts in order for me to receive this particular blessing of closeness to God through music.

I think that is amazing to consider. We are the Body of Christ, and when we share our gifts and talents, God is heard, in ways that we would never be able to experience if we were alone. I think that may be where the second part of the reading comes into play.

The greatest gift is love. Without love, all of the other gifts are nothing. To share yourself with others is to love them – it is to care so much about them that you allow yourself to be the means by which God’s grace reaches them.

Have you heard the song The Summons by John Bell? Read this verse:


Will you come and follow me if I but call your name?
Will you go where you don’t know and never be the same?
Will you let my love be shown, will you let my name be known,
Will you let my life be grown in you and you in me?
Where do you need to be the means of grace? What gift do you need to share with the Body of Christ to show God’s love? Who could God reach if you “let his love be shown” in what you do?

Kim Matthews

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home