Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Devotional 3-17-09

Top of the mornin'!

Today is St. Patrick's Day, a day we have an excuse to wear our "Kiss Me, I'm Irish" T-shirts and say things like. "Top of the mornin." We know that Patrick is the patron saint of Ireland but why? Here's the short version:

Patrick was born around 385 AD, to a wealthy Christian family of Roman descent in Britain . In Irelan, King Niall, a warrior king, began raiding Britain , taking many captives, including Patrick, when he was about 16 years old.
Patrick was made to tend sheep, and learned the language and customs of his captors. Although he had every reason to be bitter and hate those who enslaved him, he turned to God, spending a lot of time in prayer during the six years he was held. God told him through a vision he'd make his escape by sea. He managed to reach the coast and found some sailors who took him home.
Patrick felt the call to serve God. He experienced another vision: the Irish people calling to him, "We beg you, holy youth, to come and walk among us once more." Patrick went to France to study for the priesthood and was ordained. He was eventually ordained a bishop, then set sail for Ireland , to bring Christ to the land of his former captivity. By the time Patrick died, on March 17, 461, most of Ireland had converted from their pagan ways to Christianity.

What an incredible example of forgiveness! Patrick was able to love his enemies enough to go back and share his faith with them. Maybe while we're looking for something green to wear today, we can also think of someone we need to forgive and serve.

From Saint Patrick's Breastplate
Christ be with me
Christ before me
Christ behind me
Christ in me
Christ beneath me
Christ above me
Christ on my right
Christ on my left
Christ where I lie
Christ where I sit
Christ where I arise
Christ in the heart of every man
who thinks of me
Christ in the mouth of every man
who speaks of me
Christ in every eye that sees me
Christ in every ear that hears me
Salvation is of the Lord
Anita Farrell

Mission Prayer and Response Focus:
March 17: If you own your home, please give fifty cents.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home