Saturday, March 28, 2009

Devotional 3-29-09

Matthew 25:31-45 In as much as you have done it for the least of My brothers, you have done it unto Me.


Piece Be With You

And it begins, an age old tradition that has been passed down from generation to generation through father to son, mother to daughter, friend to family.

I turn and look at my friend to my left and find her gazing back. She opens her arms and moves toward me as I perform the same gesture. We embrace for at least three seconds, her love and warmth passes to me and warms me instantly. Her comforting smile and cheery personality immediately makes me smile. “Peace be with you.”

I turn to the front to a girl who seems to affect me in a different way. When I see her, butterflies are born within my heart as it beats all aflutter. She smiles, I blush, and I open my arms to embrace her. I feel her energy and love for people kindle within me, the only girl whose jokes, at which no matter how dumb I still laugh. She makes me giddy like a school boy, wrapping her arms around me, I want to stay longer. “Peace be with you.”

I walk to the other side, across the aisle, to find a whole row of friends. I turn to one whose shares my name. His infectious smile causes a shake of my head and a hardy laugh because we realize how close we are going to become. We will have lunch another day, we will become truly amazing friends another day, very soon. Right now we embrace, for a longer time than most. “Peace be with you.”

I see a friend; he is hurting with frustration and pain. He is angry and insulted, confused and heartbroken. Our eyes never meet, he knows who it is and we embrace. His arms fold around me with love and care, warming me with his compassion. He holds tight in fear of letting go, he needs someone to hold onto. Everything has changed and it seems nothing will stay the same. Everyone is shifting and moving and changing, but right then I will stay the same. I will always love him and I will always be there whenever he decides to come to me. This is spoken solely through human contact, through a hug. He happens to be about three times my size so I was the one being squished, but the love I felt in that moment nearly brought me to tears, in this moment, I was the support, I was the optimism, and I was the ear to listen, I was the future friend. I had received so many gifts from so many before that I was able to pass those gifts to another who not only needed them more than I but needed them much sooner. I had received love and support, passion and happiness, friendship and future confidence, and now I pass these on in seven simple words, "I love you, Peace be with you."

The sign of peace is not to be calm or to give tranquility, we, in performing this ancient gesture are saying, "I love you and I care for your happiness." We look into the hearts of another and give and receive the gifts God has placed there. We are not saying, "Peace be with you." We are saying "May the piece of me that God wants you to have be with you." This is what truly happens when we completely give ourselves to the sign of peace and this is what truly happens when you fully give yourself to another. Love.

Each of us finishes the puzzle that God wants to create by lending ourselves to others...

Ryan Lavalley,

Xavier University freshman

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home