Sunday, March 14, 2010

Devotional 3-14-10

Morning Thankfulness


Even though I clutch my blanket and growl when the alarm rings every morning,
thank you, Lord, that I can hear.
Many are deaf.

Even though I keep my eyes tightly closed against the morning light as long as possible,
thank you, Lord, that I can see.
Many are blind.

Even thought I huddle in my bed and put off getting up,
thank you, Lord, that I have strength to rise.
Many are bedfast.

Even though the first hour of the day is hectic – socks are lost, toast is burned, tempers are short-
thank you, Lord, for my family.
Many are lonely.

Even though our breakfast table never looks like those in the women’s magazines and the menu is sometimes unbalanced,
thank you, Lord, for the food we have.
Many are hungry.

Even though my house feels too small and its outdated furniture is showing wear,
thank you, Lord, for its warmth and protection.
Many are homeless.

Even though my job is often monotonous,
thank you, Lord, for the opportunity to work.
Many are unemployed.

Even though I grumble from morning to morning and wish my circumstances were different,
thank you, Lord, for your gift of life.

The first time that I read “Morning Thankfulness”, it was printed in the Johnson Memorial UMC May 16, 1993, bulletin at a time when Betsy and Anna were preteens, my parents were battling devastating illnesses which would eventually take their lives, and I was suffering from teacher burn-out. None of this was good for a marriage besieged by money woes and a serious case of “I do more than you”.

As I read each line, I was ashamed that I had not been more grateful for all of the blessings God had given me. When I arrived home that afternoon, I cut the poem from the bulletin and posted it on the refrigerator, where for seventeen years it served as a constant reminder of God’s love for me.

I hope it will do the same for you.

Becky Warren

To leave a comment for the author, go to http://jmlent.blogspot.com

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 6:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Becky,

Thank you for the poem. It reminded me that I too have much to be grateful about, even when I get so hopeless at time. It is going on my refrigerator.

Sue Kearns

 
At 9:17 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Becky,

Thanks for sharing that wisdom with a new generation of parents. It soon will have a place on my refrigerator. If you are the same Mrs. Warren from Wayne Middle, I'm one of your former students. If not, I still understand the many challenges of teaching/family life. Much love,

Gina Simmons

 
At 2:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks. I need to be reminded especially today. I don't have it on my fridge, but I will.
Love you, Kay L.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home