Sunday, March 07, 2010

Devotional 3-8-10

A New Perspective


Lectionary Readings: Joshua 5: 9-12; Psalm 32; 2 Corinthians 5:16-21; Luke 15: 1-3, 11-32.

My nursing students participated in an exercise earlier this year, where the patient was an electronic mannequin who could be programmed to respond to their assessments and also change based on the sequence of treatments the students chose. We gave the mannequin the name “Bill” for this exercise and told the students that he was aged 44, African American and homeless. We simulated a foul odor on his clothes and made him look dirty and disheveled. As each student group approached “Bill” they all made some assumptions about how and why he was so smelly and why he acted and spoke in a disoriented manner. They jumped to the conclusion that “Bill” was inebriated and had been brought to the hospital because he was being a public nuisance.

After completing an initial assessment, they were to ask a person playing the role of a physician for treatment orders. The “physician” ordered some laboratory tests and came to the bedside to also perform an assessment. When the laboratory tests were completed, the results told the physician and the nursing students that “Bill” was suffering from an elevated blood glucose (sugar) level and that this was the cause of his disorientation and confusion. The nursing students changed their approach to “Bill” within seconds and began further assessments and treatments that would assist “Bill” to resolve his health problems.

As I re-read the story of the “Lost Son” (Luke 15:1-3, 11b-32) as part of this week’s lectionary readings, I was reminded of my assessment failures and my incorrect assumptions about people. Had I met the lost son at any point in the story, I would have made an incorrect assumption. I would have considered him a playboy with flashy extravagant ways had I met him when he had money. If I had met him while he was caring for the pigs, I would have just ignored him with indifference. If I had met him on his way back to his father, I would have avoided talking to him and assumed that he might be a hoodlum or a tramp. I would have been on the side of the other brother with his “righteous indignation” and anger. I would have gotten the situation “all wrong” just like my students did in the beginning of their assessment of “Bill”.

The parables Jesus told during his ministry help us to see our fellow humans in a different light: God’s light. The old is passed away and all things are new. Because of Jesus, we are given a clean slate, a new chance to improve, a fresh start. God forgives and then forgets our failures.

God can change us through our mistakes. First He shows us that our assumptions and wrong conclusions will be forgiven. Then He guides us with practice and through a mighty and transforming love to learn to change behaviors. Even though I continue to repeat my wrong conclusions about people by only looking at or smelling their outside, God continues to call me to seek the light He has placed within each of us. God never gives up His quest to guide us to that closer walk with Him. We are His, even when we are too stubborn to believe it. Thank you God!

Dear God, we are humbled by your continued pursuit of our souls. We are not worthy and yet you seek us and have sacrificed everything for us. Pour out your love on us once again this day as we ask for your forgiveness and mercy for our human frailties. Amen.

Chyrl Budd

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home