Sunday, April 03, 2011

Devotional 4-3-11

Valley Property for Sale

What does your “valley” look like? We have all experienced valleys. Are you living in yours? I’ve sent a change of address form to the Post Office because my valley has become so comfortable. It seems that’s how I’ve chosen to live the past several months…becoming complacent, self-absorbed, grieving the loss of a job, living with my parents while I recuperate from surgery brought on by my failed attempt to rescue a baby raccoon. I have almost found myself believing Kenny when he jokingly says, “No good deed goes unpunished.”

Don’t you feel sorry for me? My attempt to do what I believed a good, valiant deed resulted in nothing but loss. The raccoon died. I can’t wear “big girl shoes,” or walk without limping, or lose weight, or maintain the belief that I’m irreplaceable at the office because I truly care about doing my job honestly and well. By now I’m sure you get the general idea. I’m just a joy to be with, especially because I’m a Christian, and my life demonstrates my faith, a life transformed by God! Really?

The first verse of the Old Testament lectionary reading for this week stopped me cold. “The LORD said to Samuel, ‘How long will you grieve over Saul? I have rejected him from being king over Israel. Fill your horn with oil and set out; I will send you to Jesse the Bethlehemite, for I have provided for myself a king among his sons.’” (I Samuel 16:1) NRSV

Looks like I need to reassess the property value of my valley. Even though it has been my preferred pouting place several times, this particular pilgrimage has been filled with God’s blessings, and I chose not to see or appreciate or be thankful for them. My husband, my children, my parents have all been cheering me on – especially during my frequent melt-downs; my church family has visited me, prayed for me, stayed in touch with me, given me reassuring hugs; the love of Christ has been given to me on a daily basis, but I let the darkness of my valley blind me to the light of love these wonderful people continue to bring.

I must confess and ask forgiveness for grieving over past failures – and sins – and ask that God’s grace will allow me to see how God is opening a new chapter in my life. And in the process, I’ll be completing another change of address form …. and if you’re my neighbor here, let’s move forward together in the warm, loving light Christ shines on the path out of this valley, confident that God has better plans and a better place for us. Amen

Linda Summers

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 6:13 AM, Anonymous Sue Kearns said...

Linda,

We love you. It is perfectly normal to feel as you do. You have to "pitch your fit" before you can pick yourself up and go on. We believe in you, you are a good person, and a caring one. Don't forget that.

Rob and Sue

 

Post a Comment

<< Home