Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Devotional 3-13-12

"Sticky" Love Story
Lectionary Readings: Numbers 21:4-9; Psalm 107:1-3, 17-22; Ephesians 2:1-10; John 3:14-21
…immense in mercy and with an incredible love, he embraced us. He took our sin-dead lives and made us alive in Christ...Now God has us where he wants us, with all the time in this world and the next to shower grace and kindness upon us in Christ Jesus. (Ephesians 2:4, 7from The Message)

As those of you who know me can attest, I really hate to be wrong about something. I like to be right and I unfortunately share my knowledge of the facts with others without hesitation. Much to my dismay, I recently made a major error at work. I had to inform others of the mistake and "face the consequences". I wrestled greatly with feelings that I should be soundly punished and gratefulness for everyone's understanding and support. It is true--anyone can make a mistake, but I still don't like to be the culprit. Lent has been a time for me to do some soul searching and wrestling about the nature of my relationship with God. I really and truly deserve some effective punishment for my failures and deficiencies, but something else has been going on.

The lectionary readings for this 4thweek reveal words of wisdom and encouragement about the vastness of God’s love for us. The love that is described in the scriptures is not a rosy, “hearts and flowers”, superficial love, but a wondrous and overwhelming sacrificial love. It reminds me of the “tough-love” associated with parenting strategies. We accept God’s gifts of love, but we are asked to turn away from the world. We are forgiven and granted eternal life with the expectation that we will follow God’s path for us, not our own. God's love is so tenacious that we are pursued by it.

God loves us in such a unique way that He sent His baby son to live as we do. We love babies and we love gifts, but we do not understand how God could “give Jesus up” to be a part of this world. This son grew into a man with an occupation, family commitments and then a mid-life job change to become a preacher and teacher. This son also loved us so much that he gave his life for us—willingly and without an escape plan—so that we could be eternally free from our sins.

We try, but this kind of love is hard for us mortals to understand. It is so deep and encompassing that we don’t always believe it is possible. God lovingly "sticks" with us in spite of our behaviors. We strive to improve our relationship with God; we vow to give up bad habits; we promise to increase our prayer time, our giving, and our service to others. But in my case (and I suspect in yours) I fall so short of my goals that I am embarrassed and ashamed.

Yet, God pursues us for a relationship. He does not give up on us. He has given us the scriptures as a guide and instruction. He sends a multitude of angels to minister to us, to guide us and inspire us to improve. He sends us His thoughts expressed through those who write devotions, hymns and anthems, sermons and lessons. He seeks us in every situation and circumstance in our lives. He speaks to us in every event and conversation. He forgives us over and over again. His love will not let us go….

O Love that wilt not let me go,
I rest my weary soul in thee;
I give thee back the life I owe,
That in thine ocean depths its flow,
May richer, fuller be.


O light that followest all my way,
I yield my flickering torch to thee;
My heart restores its borrowed ray,
That in thy sunshine’s blaze its day
May brighter, fairer be.


O Joy that seekest me through pain,
I cannot close my heart to thee;
I trace the rainbow through the rain,
And feel the promise is not vain,
That morn shall tearless be.

O Cross that liftest up my head,
I dare not ask to fly from thee;
I lay in dust life’s glory dead,
And from the ground there blossoms red
Life that shall endless be.

By George Matheson
Dear Loving Forgiving God, we are so unworthy and hesitate to even admit our failings—to ask once more for that gift of understanding. You have promised us that, if we but ask, the gift of your love is available without question or restraint. We thank you for that blessing and pray that you will continue to hang on to us with your fierceness and tenacity. Although we can never earn or deserve it, please continue to love us and to help us find our way closer to you. AMEN

Chyrl Budd

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home