Saturday, March 17, 2007

March 17 Devotion

Please read John 17

Have you ever read a passage of scripture and seen something for the first time? Recently, I re-read John 17 and what really jumped out at me was Jesus’ selflessness at a time when I would expect him to focus on himself. Jesus recognized that his time on earth was coming to an end. What do you think he did? He prayed. Not a selfish prayer, “God, help me!” He prayed for his followers. In class Wednesday night, I asked, “What do you think of that?”

“Awesome!” was the reply. I agree. It is awesome that Jesus would pray for us, even for me. It is awesome love for us, even for me; it is awesome trust in us, even in me.

And for my part, it is awesome responsibility. I read the words as if Jesus were praying for me. Try it: read verse 20 and insert your name for “them” and “they.”

I’m praying not only for Jeff but also for those who will believe in me because of Jeff and Jeff’s witness about me.

Does anyone believe in Jesus because of me? Am I living up to my responsibility? Sometimes I have missed opportunities to be a witness to Christ’s love; other times I have failed, thinking instead of myself. But I will do better; I have confidence knowing that Jesus is praying for me!

And He’s praying for all of us.

Dear God: May the ones who come behind us find us faithful; may the fire of our devotion light the Way. Amen.

Jeff Taylor

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home