Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Devotional 3-18-10

Lectionary Reading – John 12:1-8

I continue to be amazed at the stories in the Bible. When reading them, it is such a comfort to see how they relate to my life today. John 12 1-8 is no different.

Six days before Passover, in the town of Bethany, Jesus arrived at the home of Lazarus, to attend a banquet in his honor. This family loved Jesus, and it was their way of thanking him for bringing Lazarus back from the dead.

Martha prepared the meal. I, too, have prepared many meals for special guests. I know the pressure that Martha must have been feeling. She loved Jesus and wanted everything to be perfect. I have been ‘hostess’ Martha, many times in my life.

Lazarus, understandably, sat proudly beside Jesus, and was eternally thankful for his new life. I, too, have sat beside someone I love, and was so happy to have them with me. I have been ‘thankful’ Lazarus, many times in my life.

Mary purchased an expensive perfume to wash the feet of Jesus. I, too, have shopped and gone beyond my means for a “special gift”; to give to someone I love. I have been ‘extravagant’ Mary, many times in my life.

Judas quickly found fault with Mary’s extravagance. She should have sold the perfume and given the money to the poor. Judas, no doubt, had his own plans for the money, since he was the one who held the purse. I, too, have found myself judgmental of others actions, without taking the time to really look inward at my own motives. I have been ‘judgmental’ Judas, many times in my life.

And then, there was Jesus, with his response to Judas. Jesus makes it clear that Mary’s gift was given in love, and in preparation for his death. What a comfort for Mary, to hear the words of Jesus. Her gift was one of love, and it was received with love. And yes, I even hope I have shown the understanding that Jesus showed Mary in accepting gifts, many times in my life.

This scripture speaks to me through all the people involved, but most of all through our Savior and his gracious acceptance of Mary’s actions.

Lent is a time of preparation for receiving the greatest gift from God, the promise of eternal “Life” through his son. I don’t have to be hostess, I don’t have to purchase anything pricey, I don’t have to question the motive, and I don’t have to just sit proudly beside. Instead, I can choose to be prepared to receive the gift of “Eternal Life”; given in Love from God through his dear and loving Son, our Savior. And that is exactly, what I have chosen to do, many times in my life.

Let us all be thankful for a Loving God.

Glenna B. Allison

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home