Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Devotional 4-7-11



My definition of treasure changed drastically when my daughter, Rachel, died.  In her closet I had stored several brand new miniature tea sets.  Each set represented a different animal. I had enough tea sets to give her one for her next ten birthdays. I had many more items that were precious only to Rachel, and I had to decide whether to part with, or keep them.  whether to part with, or keep them. Silly as it sounds, a pencil she used, or hair bow was a major decision. Every picture she drew, unmatched pair of mittens, or socks became “treasure” for a while. I stumbled through her favorite dresses, shoes, toys, books, etc… A desolate feeling would come over me when I thought about keeping all these personal things, but then knowing that someday these same “precious items” would be part of an estate sale where people would not have any idea in what way they were significant to her or us, was heartbreaking. It was stressful. Everything was a treasure but a burden also. I began to need to give things away. I needed to give them to someone who would know what they meant while they still meant something. Mainly, though, what I did was begin to re-think treasure.

I realized my memories were my treasure to keep. I humbly acknowledged that my true treasure was Christ because He was with me every moment through my life. I became conscious that each moment with my sons, my husband and my family where we found joy or grief was my treasure because we were living. I grasped the tiniest bits of hope every moment that I could, and labeled them treasure.

When treasure comes to mind now, I do not think of money, gold, or stocking away tea sets for days that might not happen. Instead, I think of a moment spent with someone I love, or the hope of shared time. I hear a child’s laugh. Beautiful fall colors come to mind shimmering bright in my mind. I imagine digging in dirt, and planting a beautiful blue spruce that will live. I cherish walks where I see a deer, living free, and hearing music that makes my heart soar. In my mind’s eye I see a smile on someone’s face because I made their day easier, or fulfilled a need. I treasure reading a book in my hammock while the wind rustles through the trees above me. I think of God, and I am overwhelmed because the God of all things considers me, and you, His treasure.

Matthew 6:21 For where your treasure is, there also will your heart be.

Barbara Smith Lavalley

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home